[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
epic newbie questions -

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: epic newbie questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:04 pm 
Epic Hero
Epic Hero

Hi everyone. Trying to wrap my head around epic, both by itself and maybe in combination with other systems.

Levelling: It seems that all levelling is done through purchased skills. Is this the case? Do LP stay the same as well?

Campaigning: If we use published adventures from other non-epic companies, how well does the power levels of epic characters match with assumed character levels for an adventure, or for a combat encounter?

Atributes: If I wanted to convert epic 10 attributes into the "standard" 6 attributes, how would that work?

Can occupations support a different level of technology? Like firearms, for instance, or piloting a higher-tech vessel?

What kinds of limits are there on the number of Arcane variants that can be learned, both in total and per day?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guang,

Welcome to Epic! Let me try to address your questions:

1. Yes, you improve by raising levels of individual skills. LP stays constant, unless you get a mastery that raises LP or you increase BLD or VIT.

2. That is hard to say - I think it takes good judgement by the GM. We just ran through the classic AD&D White Plume Mountain and had a great time. I ran it and had to modify the stats of the monsters quit a bit. The biggest factor is scaling hit points.

3. By standard you mean those used in AD&D? Maybe something like this:
STR = average of BLD & MGT
DEX = AGL
CON = VIT
INT = average of RSN & WLL
WIS = average of ITU ESS
CHR = average of PRS & BTY
You could then scale by simply adding 10 to everything, though I'm not sure why you would want to do this...

4. Yes, in fact, we have a beta edition finished for sci-fi epic. You might make a new skill with specialties (like piloting, then specialties by vehicle type) or just add a specialty into an existing skill (like adding firearms to the ranged arms skill).

5. No limit total: it usually takes 1 hour per level to learn. But the style of the gaming group could sway this a lot. For example, you might require a laboratory to learn alchemy or metaphysics.

Best, Chris

ENnie Nominated - Best Rules, Epic RPG Game Manual
http://www.epicrpg.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guang,

Welcome!

I'll just one things to AD's post:

1. Players also have an opportunity to level skills when they crit succeed or crit fail.

Thanks for your interest.

Currently Running: City-State of Raihon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:39 am 
Epic Hero
Epic Hero

Thanks for the welcome!

1. Got it. No levels per se, just skills.

2 and 3. I realized several years back that I hated classes. Almost all of them. I found them dull and repetitive. In the meanwhile I found other parts of systems that I really liked and wanted to include in my game, but never a whole system that really clicked. Races from Radiance RPG, with racial progression for all races and a good variety of races, monsters from Pathfinder because they are pretty, and cover a wider variety of creatures in more detail than I've seen elsewhere. Settings/adventures I've generally been attracted to mostly OSR material, I think for the gritty detail and simplicity, as well as the monsters everywhere! feel.

But I had yet to find a class system that clicked. Epic RPG is looking really interesting in that regard, and I will most likely use more of the system as well if occupations continue to grab me in actual play, but will be continuing to use Radiance races and Pathfinder monsters at the least. So....trying to somehow make Radiance races, Epic occupations, and Pathfinder monsters all play nicely together.

So that's why I would want to do this :wink:

Thanks for the STR = average of BLD & MGT type stuff. I've been comparing systems - some of the comparisons you made make a lot of sense to me, but some don't as much. Maybe I'm missing something.
STR = average of MGT and WLL (both connected to Melee?)
CON = average of VIT and BLD (thinking con for HP, VIT and BLD for LP)
INT = average of RSN & ESS (Extra spells/variance from ESS, wizard stuff is usually connected with INT?)
Please tell me specifically why I'm wrong, if you would?

I'm open to converting to either number of ability scores/vital attributes, but going to have to convert something. Adding/subtracting 10 looks like a easy way to do it without bothering with modifiers. At least it's much better than what I was hammering out. Thanks.

How did you have to modify the hitpoints of the monsters when using monsters from another system?

4. *drool* I love mixing Sci-fi and fantasy elements together. You'll have lots of new occupations, of course. Will you introduce new skill trees, or parts of skill trees? Have you introduced new skill trees in either of the already released atlases? When is it scheduled for final release?

It's really cool how open you guys are to "making a new skill with specialties" or "just adding a specialty into an existing skill". +1 Epic RPG.

5. So once you've learned it, you know it, and can use everything you know every day without limit? You don't forget it every day and have to re-learn?
You say one hour per level - the book says one day per level - are you talking about one hour realtime or did you mean one day realtime?

It looks like each of the six magic disciplines is handled by the Arcane skill, as far as obtaining free variants. So what does the Gas Theory specialty of Alchemy let you do, for example? Does it raise the level of Alchemy available in Gas Theory only? Does it do anything else?

6. There's a part of increasing skills I'm not sure I'm reading right: It seems that for increasing the whole skill you have a chance of success, while increasing a specialty you are guaranteed success. You are also guaranteed success for masteries and grandmasteries. Is this right?

Thanks again. Sorry for the flood of questions - usually I try to search out answers for stuff like this online, but it seems a lot of people think whatever rpg they are playing is epic, so you're pretty much ungoogleable. I've read through some of the older threads on the forum, as well. What happened to the Epic blog?

Guang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Guang -

These are fun! Keep them coming. It's our pleasure to talk about our game, because we do think it's Epic, even though that might make it hard to google. ;)

2/3. I think occupations and professions do a great job of giving a class-like feel for folks who want that kind of identity without shoehorning them into a specific skill set or progression model.

STR: I think part of the MGT/BLD vs. MGT/WLL gets a bit complexified by Epic's need for values that shape learning curve vs. others that shape the result of an action. For example, you use WLL to learn melee skill, but MGT modifies the impact. Certainly if there are classes out there that prioritize STR, the average of MGT and WLL would suffice if you were porting over an epic character to your custom ride.

An alternate possibility: you could change the skills that modify talent to the six attribute scale: STR could modify learning melee combat, DEX ranged, etc.

Your workings of CON and INT both make sense.

Chris is our resident re-worker of D&D modules, so I'll let him tackle monster HP.

4. There are some new skill trees, and some skills that have had specialties added. That's vague enough, isn't it?

More vagueness: For a release date, we've got a solid alpha right now, but it needs more setting work and playtesting. We're a little bit far out of the homestretch to pick a time. We'll be certain to let folks know when it is coming out, though! :)

5. That's right. Once you learn a variant, the resource governing spell use is your quintessence pool. And yeah you're right, variants take one day per level (we also say "per cost") to learn.

Specialties in the discipline you're casting (as per your example, alchemy(gas theory)), provide you with a couple of benefits:
- Bonus modifier: You add the specialty number to your casting roll. For example, if you had Alchemy 5, Gas Theory 2, if you rolled a natural 10, the total would be 17 to cast a Gas Theory variant.
- Access to Masteries and Grandmasteries: Specialties also lead to mastery and grand mastery goodies. For example, the Gas Theory mastery is Effortless, which allows the alchemist to cast all lvl 1 Gas Theory variants for FREE, 0 QP baby. We also call this the machine gun mastery. ;)

6. You're correct. They're free, but require that you sacrifice a progression roll. The gatekeeper on specialties and masteries is the prerequisites. To acquire a specialty, you need to have lvl 3 in the skill. To acquire another specialty, you need to have lvl 5, and so on. Masteries require a specialty of 2, Grandmasteries require a specialty of 4. For example, to get the Split Strike mastery in axes, you'd need Melee arms: 5, Axes 2 before you could spend a progression roll on a "free" mastery.

And again, no problem! We like our game, so it's fun to answer questions about it. Stick around!

Best,

Kent

Dark Matter Studios

ENnie Nominee Best Rules - Epic RPG Game Manual

Currently Running: City-State of Raihon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guang,

Makes sense about the attributes. Yes, we are very open to modding/homebrewing because, as gamers, we realize that virtually all gaming groups do this. Why not?

For HP, you might halve the value to get LP, so a "fighter" with 10 HP might have 5 in Epic. The important thing to note in Epic is that LP generally don't increase with "level". I think you will find that this keeps Epic gritty and scary regardless of level. I also think that you'll find the occupations so flexible that after use, it will be virtually impossible to go back.

Concerning magic, just remember that it is the branch skill (like metaphysics) that is used to roll for success every time it is used.

Please don't hesitate to sling more questions our way!

Best, Chris

Dark Matter Studios

Creators of Epic Role Playing

ENnie Nominated - Best Rules, Epic RPG Game Manual

http://www.epicrpg.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:36 pm 
Epic Hero
Epic Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Admin